[rrd-users] More comfortable chart display

Martin Sperl rrdtool at martin.sperl.org
Sun Jan 25 17:27:16 CET 2009

Well, Alex - there is an approach for you...

As for graphv, nice - it gives the basic information and could be used
to add this information external to rrdtool - I still think it would be
"nicer" to have rrdtool do it in a standardized way without having to
reinvent the wheel repeatedly...

On closer inspection I would say that something is missing from the
output of graphv, which could introduce problems: the min/max time is
not given!
Imagine, that we create an initial graph with the parameters: "--start
-2weeks --end now" the javascript also would need to translate "-1week"
and "now" back to a real time and it could do it differently  than
rrdtool (e.g: using the wrong timezone for conversion, or the more
complex translation cases that rrdtool handles "-1day+6hours", ...)

So maybe we should add this to the output of graphv as well for
completeness.

Otherwise we will again need to add it separately by calling RRDs::times
and "enriching" the graphv output  with this information. But then as
this is 2 different calls to RRD, you will potentially get slight
deltas, depending on the sequence and the complexity of the graphs
(graphs with more than 1000 DEFs take some time to generate;)

Ciao,
          Martin