[rrd-users] Help with creating an rrd-db

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Tue Jul 21 20:11:22 CEST 2009

> Hi Yashodhan,
> Although the data is a counter, I tried the GAUGE, and now I get more
> acceptable results (see attachment). But, how do I get those dayly
> values, i.e. "max of day" - "min of day"  ?

The graph you've shown shows that your counter increments from approximately
1.2M to 1.3M in 7 days. That is 100,000 per 7*86400 seconds, is 100,000 per
604800 seconds, is approximately 0.17 per second.  If the graph shows
somewhere in the range of 170m, then that's not only acceptable but also
accurate.

If you store Joules per second, aka Watt, then you can compute Joules per
day by multiplying the average amount of Joules per second by the number of
seconds per day:  J/s * s/day = (J*s)/(day*s) = J/day.

Just multiply 0.17 by 86400 to get numbers in the order of 14286 per day.
Does that sound about right?

HTH
Alex