[rrd-users] Additional "Unknown"-Value

n1LL3 Christian.Michel at it-novum.com
Mon Jun 8 11:30:01 CEST 2009

Hello,

I am working with a monitoring tool, which uses the rrdtools for creating
graphs.

When I am sending an update-command to the RRD with no data, for which I am
using the "U", what is mentioned in the documentation (If there is no data
for a certain data-source, the letter U (e.g., N:0.1:U:1) can be
specified.), in the RRD is a "NaN". When the RRD gets the next
update-command with data and the heartbeat-value has not reached, an average
rate will be calculated and added to this and to the previous data-source.

But for monitoring tools it would be nicer: If there is no data, the graph
should break.

This could be realised by adding a new value, for e.g. "unknown-status",
which I can edit with the update-command too. When this option is set, the
heartbeat will be ignored and the graph will break.
With this option, I can see the real breakdown of my monitoring.
Otherwise the RRD creates data, which does not really exist.

What would you say about this?

Thanks!