[rrd-users] Is php-rrdtool really necessary? -- was: Generate rrd graph in real time

Eduardo Bragatto eduardo at bragatto.com
Thu Jun 25 05:41:56 CEST 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Robert Hagens wrote:

> Hi,
> I couldn't get php-rrdtool to work, it seems that support has stopped
> for it. I could be wrong. I do all my work in php, and fire up rrdtool
> as a separate process, and pipe commands to/from it from php.

I've tried using it in the past and although I could get it compiled
and running, it seemed to be unstable and failed to work correctly in
certain situations -- it was a long time ago, don't ask for details.

However, because of that first bad experience and the fact that I
haven't heard of any development on the php module, I gave up using it
and I'm using system() calls to run rrdtool from a php script.

Does anyone know, if there's any _considerable_ performance
degradation by using system() calls instead of having internal calls
directly to the rrdtool functions?

- Eduardo Bragatto