[rrd-users] Error in database?

Karl Fischer rrd-users at ficos.de
Thu Mar 5 15:27:11 CET 2009

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> note that rrdtool use unix time todo all its time based
> calculations, if you create a database that ventures out of the
> unix time stamp range  all sorts of interesting corner cases are
> bound to be touched ...
>
> cheers
> tobi

sure Tobi, this is what I explained to Mats in the first place.

BTW: I have seen several posts on this list where people work
with databases that span long periods of time (like 50 years)

I'm wondering why rrdtool does allow to create databases that
venture out of the unix time stamp range? Shouldn't there be
a range check on database creation?

And, BTW: why rrdtool doesn't allow to fetch data before 1980?
I understand that rrdtool didn't exist back then, but somebody
potentially could want to import historical data and since the
time stamp is perfectly valid I don't understand the limitation?

cheers
- Karl