[rrd-users] rrdtool backed mrtg using massive amounts of memory

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed May 13 20:32:35 CEST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tobias Oetiker" <tobi at oetiker.ch>

> have a look at iostat -x to see if there is high load on the disk
> ... the bit where your process is taking more and more memory is
> rather odd though ... you are using the latest version of rrdtool
> and there is not some old copy of the perl bindings kicking around
> your system ?

Yep running the latest 1.3.7

>find /usr/local/lib/perl5 -name RRDs\*
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/man/man3/RRDs.3.gz
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/RRDs
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/auto/RRDs/RRDs.bs
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/RRDs.pm

> grep VERSION= /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach/RRDs.pm
$VERSION=1.3007;

As far as iostat is concerned I cant tell ATM as it seems random as
to if it will misbehave or not. But it is the only thing running
so if it is high load it will due to this process. In addition
when this happens CPU load is very high for the perl process.

I can however say that when combined with the other rrd updates
running on the box it is enough to saturate the IO on the machine
causing multi second stalling at certain times.

This was one of the things I hoped upgrading to 1.3 with mmap
would reduce but no joy.

The machine itself is hardly a small with a 6 disk areca 1120
configured in RAID 6 and only running mrtg and rrdtool backed
server stats.

    Regards
    Steve