[rrd-users] Underloaded CPU

Juliian saylith007 at yahoo.fr
Thu May 7 16:50:40 CEST 2009

Hello dear all,

I meet an issue, maybe you'll be able to help. =]

I use RRDtool in order to generate graphs (incredible, isn't it ?) of
thousand routeur/interface statistics, and it takes a lot of time. Until
now, i thought that it was normal, but i've just seen that my CPU usage was
between 0.5% and 10% (on my biggest server, and under 1% on an average
server, that process the data as fast as the big one, don't ask me why..).

If I run my script, it takes about 5 or 6 minutes to process 4 minutes of
statistics, and my CPU usage is under 15% (my script is a big loop written
in perl). If I remove the "RRDs::update ($rrdfullname_ifdescr , $t_template
, $str_vals);" my script takes 3 seconds to process everything (it just not
update the database..) so i guess the problem comes from RRDtool..

Would you have an idea, about how i can make my CPU not being underloaded ?

Best regards,
Julian