[rrd-users] rrdtool 1.4.x without graphing support?

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Nov 5 08:58:33 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 05:53:20AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Yesterday Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> > Anyone got an idea how much work would be involved to build/patch
> > rrdtool 1.4.x to remove graphing support? Library dependency for
> > EL4 is just hell at this point. And as I need librrd, I am not
> > sure how far I can work with a static build to work with collectd
> > together.
>
> you may want to try the appended patch.

> +if BUILD_RRDGRAPH
> +RRD_C_FILES += rrd_graph.c	\
> +	rrd_graph_helper.c	\
> +	rrd_xport.c	\
> +	rrd_gfx.c \
> +	pngsize.c
> +endif
[…]

NB: RRD_C_FILES is later used to specify the source files for librrd.

In case this patch is supposed to be included in RRDtool, please note
that it provides an easy way to build RRDtool with a different API /
ABI. Hence, it requires a different SONAME version (or even better: a
different SONAME -- which would be easier to implement as well).

Anyway, rather than including this (imho) somewhat hackish way, I'd
rather go for splitting the library as discussed before (librrd /
librrdgraph). I'm willing to provide a patch for that targeted at
RRDtool 1.5 (it will probably require a SONAME version bump, thus, it
should imho not be included in 1.4 -- I'd also provide patches for
reverse dependencies known to be affected by that).

Cheers,
Sebastian