[rrd-users] newbie: can i do this with rrdtool?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Nov 16 11:35:58 CET 2009

Hi Ivan,

Today Ivan Zahariev wrote:

> Choosing which RRD databases to display is somehow tricky, as a program
> may use a lot of memory at some time, and almost no memory after a
> minute for the next 30 minutes - is this program a "memory-hungry" one
> and should be displayed on the graphic, or not? If you want to analyze
> which program used how much memory at some time, you can use "rrdtool
> dump" or "rrdtool fetch" to retrive this info.
>
> If I were you, I would visualize all available RRD databases on the
> graphic and will not create/update a RRD database for programs which use
> less than XX MBytes memory at the time of our measurement. I would also
> automatically delete RRD databases which were not updated in a given
> time period (which means that their program consumed less than XX MBytes
> memory for the time period in question).
>
> You can review the man page of "rrdgraph_examples" on how to visualize
> several RRD databases on one graphic. It is actually very easy - just
> define several DEF and LINE arguments to "rrdgraph", for example:

Note that if you use rrdtool  updatev together with an appropriate
RRA string the 15 minute average for example, you can then know
after each update that causes the 15 minute RRA to be update which
value was added ... save it to a status file which you can then
load on graph generation to determine the top processes without
doing an explicit fetch on each rrd file ...

cheers
tobi