[rrd-users] Text Alignment in Graph Box?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Tue Nov 24 07:10:08 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:20:05AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Yesterday Marc MERLIN wrote:

> > > As this is a cacti graph, we should mention that at this point cacti does
> > > "tabular adjustment" based on monospaced fonts only by "tabbing" with blanks.
> >
> > I noticed that, but even so I tried 4 monospace fonts and they don't quite
> > look monospaced as can be seen in the graph above where I end up with a
> > characters that are half aligned with the characters above and below them.
>
> the font in the graph above is NOT monospaced ... try courier.

Thanks Tobias.

This was my problem, all the monospace fonts I tried didn't seem to
work as intended, even if I saw a different font when I selected them.
The new
http://gargamel.merlins.org/cacti/graph.php?action=properties&local_graph_id=14&rra_id=6&view_type=&graph_start=1258976884&graph_end=1258991224
now has
/usr/bin/rrdtool graph - \
(...)
--font TITLE:12:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf \
--font AXIS:8:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf \
--font LEGEND:10:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf \
--font UNIT:8:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf \
DEF:a="/var/lib/cacti/rra/housetemp_17.rrd":Attic:AVERAGE \
(...)
and it still didn't work.

I looks like the problem is with cacti.
Cacti forces me to give a font path or errors out with "file not found"
rrdtool seems to want "courier" instead of /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Courier_New.ttf
If I put "courier" and run the rrdtool from the command line as opposed to
in cacti, then things indeed work.

Reinhard, this seems to be a cacti problem here. Does what I try to do in my
graph even work for anyone in he latest released cacti?
Should I just force the font string directly in mysql for now, bypassing the
web page check?
Or do you think the alignment code can be changed to just use tabs like it
seems to be natively supported in new rrdtools now?

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/