[rrd-users] Can i get the <last_ds> value?

Jayashree jayashree.nayak09 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:43:49 CEST 2009

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.
You have described my problem somewhat correctly.

My data availability will be like:-

12:00  counter value = no response
12:05  counter value = 100,300.
12:10 counter value = 10, 600  The difference is 300 bytes in300 seconds = 1
byte per second.
12:15  counter value = 100,900. The difference is 300 bytes in 300 seconds =
1 byte per second.
12:20  counter value = 101,200. The difference is 300 bytes in 300 seconds =
1 byte per second.
12:25 counter value = no response
 12:30 counter value = no response

I am trying to say that,* i will have data running on the interface for a
short duration and the rest of the time there will be no response.*
**
So is setting the heartbeat to a higher value the right way to go about it?

If it helps, I am trying to plot the data on a Data MDT in a multicast
network, where the traffic on the MDT flows only at certain times.
*Option 2 *
**
I have tried the option using 'U'. But here, the problem lies with MRTG
behaviour of "assume last".
It shows me the "currrent in" value at the bottom of the graph  as
 10 bytes @ 12:30  even if there is no traffic on the interface (since the
last valid value was 10bytes @12:20)

To counter that, i used 'unknaszero'. But that also gave me another problem
(sigh!).
With using 'unknaszero' my graph is plotting fine when there is traffic on
the interface, but the legend at the bottom "current in" always is "0
bytes".

So I am still stuck with this problem. :(

Much appreciate any suggestions.