[rrd-users] patching a hole in a rrd file fro a good one

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 22:10:04 CET 2009

Hi,

We(me and my coworker) don't know enough details about rrd file data
structure.
Here is a problem we trying to resolve.

We have a pair of Xymon(Hobbit) servers, hb1 and hb2. They  each receive one
copy of hobbit message/metric data from each hobbit clients. ie hobbit
client send message to hb1 and hb2.

Assuming hb1 is down and back online in 1 hour. now we have 20K of rrd files
with 1 hour hole in them.  But those missing 1 hour data is available on hb2
waiting for action ;).

We write a simple perl script to dump out one rrd file from hb1 and one from
hb2 into xml files.
then  we patch the missed data lines in hb1 from hb2 between the <database>
</database> tags. after the patching we then restore the xml fle back into
rrd format.

The question is , "Is that all we need to do to fill a hole from a good copy
?"

Looking at other tags in dumped XML file, is there a counter of how many
lines within <database> ...</database> tags ?

by inserting the missing lines into hb1 rrd, will we corrupt/mess up the
metrics in  the hb1 rrd file ?

Thanks for your pointer

tj