[rrd-users] RRDTOOL and MRTG on LInux 5

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 16 23:50:25 CEST 2009

> - Is anyone running rrdtool and mrtg on linux 5.4 ?

Yes, we are (RHEL 5.3 just updated to 5.4)

> - anyone managed to integrate the MRTG process into a cluster? for
> automatic failover?

Yes, we have been doing this for more than 2 years.  We have 2 linux boxes linked with LinuxHA and a shared external SSA disk unit.  The filesystem, virtual IP and MRTG processes fail over between the two.  The 'non-active' server hosts our Nagios installation which fails over in the opposite direction.

In fact, we now have distributed MRTG as we monitor so many metrics, and have 2 such failover pairs and a single non-failover all linked into one big virtual frontend using the Routers2 distributed-MRTG features.

Steve