[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Philip Peake philip at vogon.net
Thu Aug 19 07:49:22 CEST 2010

 Here is what I don't understand:

    http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrd-beginners.en.html
    /GAUGE does not save the rate of change. It saves the actual value
    itself. *There are no divisions or calculations*.
    /

Looking at the source:

                case DST_GAUGE:
                    old_locale = setlocale(LC_NUMERIC, "C");
                    errno = 0;
                    pdp_new[ds_idx] =
                        strtod(updvals[ds_idx + 1], &endptr) * interval;
                    if (errno) {
                        rrd_set_error("converting '%s' to float: %s",
                                      updvals[ds_idx + 1],
    rrd_strerror(errno));
                        return -1;
                    };
                    setlocale(LC_NUMERIC, old_locale);
                    if (endptr[0] != '\0') {
                        rrd_set_error
                            ("conversion of '%s' to float not complete:
    tail '%s'",
                             updvals[ds_idx + 1], endptr);
                        return -1;
                    }
                    *rate = pdp_new[ds_idx] / interval;*
                    break;

If this line is removed, it will behave as documented.
I can not really see any point in this, a gauge is a gauge, its not a rate.