[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Philip Peake philip at vogon.net
Thu Aug 19 19:27:53 CEST 2010

 On 8/19/2010 8:15 AM, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Philip,
>
> Today Philip Peake wrote:
>
>>  Yes ... I am actually measuring two parameters.
>> One of them has fairly high numbers (in the 100's), the interpolation
>> (or whatever you want to call it) is ok there. The actual number
>> displayed is not too important as long as its something like right.
>>
>> The second set of samples are more like:
>>
>>     0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 0 5 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1
>>
>> They are integer values. Displaying them as (for example) 0.666732134 is
>> meaningless.
> please elaborate ... time based integer data ? never seen it ...

:-)

Ok ... lets try.

This is a queue.
In the trivial case, its empty.
In other cases there are an integer number of items in the queue
(partial items don't exist).

Obviously, the number of items in the queue varies with time.
Because of the short timescales involved in processing these items, any
reading of the number of items in the queue is only a snapshot. Fraction
of a second earlier or later and the number could be significantly
different. But it will always integer.

The data is not time based, its based upon request rates and processing
rates. It will change with time but is essentially not itself directly
related to time.

Does that make sense?