[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Thu Aug 19 21:14:46 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:58:03AM -0700, Philip Peake wrote:
>  On 8/19/2010 10:22 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I think that would do it, but you'd have to store that
> > dont_screw_with_gauge_data in the RRD file somewhere and I'm not sure if the
> > file format has free bits that can be used for that (hopefully it does).
> >
>  Why? It just GAUGE data, the only thing that we are doing differently
> is storing the data as if it had occurred *exactly* on time.
> As far as processing/graphing goes, I don't see any difference.

I'm not sure what you tried to say.
My only point is that you'd have to store the setting that a GAUGE DS should
have interpolation turned off as opposed to the default on. This has to be
set at creation time and stored in the RRD file so that update knows whether
the update should use interpolation or not.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/