[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Fri Aug 20 12:32:22 CEST 2010

> Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>
>>I still worry about the next issue coming up... 1200 CDPs to display and
>>only 600 pixels available in the graph... One bitfield is a nice
>>nonnormalized 128, the other is 0. what is RRDtool going to do? Display
>>128, 0 or 64 ?
>
> Better still, when someone has used it as a bitmap, so 128 means one
> thing, 64 means something else - so "fans running" and "nothing"
> averages to "sprinklers on" !

which is exactly my point.

But in the case of two CDPs per pixel column, one could just display both.
Problem worked around.

So the next issue comes up: how to display bit fields 65536, 32768, 16384,
8192, 4096, 2048, 1024, and 1, all in one graph of 100 pixels high?
(notice how I am avoiding consolidating 8 CDPs at graph time)