[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at vandenbogaerdt.nl
Sun Aug 22 02:57:55 CEST 2010

>> So the next issue comes up: how to display bit fields 65536, 32768,
>> 16384,
>> 8192, 4096, 2048, 1024, and 1, all in one graph of 100 pixels high?
>> (notice how I am avoiding consolidating 8 CDPs at graph time)
>
> If it is a non averaging GAUGE, then you just drop all data
> samples but the first one.

Is there any logic behind choosing the first one?  Because if it is just
an arbitrary choice, choosing the last one is at least as good, and that
is exactly what would happen if one chooses to have LAST as the
consolidation function.

I don't know why RRDtool does have LAST and not FIRST as CF. Maybe there
is a good reason for it, maybe it is an arbitrary choice.