[rrd-users] extracting tabular data with rrdgraph

N. Tucker ntucker-collectd at august20th.com
Thu Dec 2 21:20:16 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> AFAIK you are supposed to be able to use PRINT statements and have
> the results output as text rather than generating a graph. I've never
> tried with with a CDEF though (as opposed to printing a single value
> VDEF) so I don't know if that works.

Regarding this, there is a contradiction in the documentation.  The man page
for rrdgraph_graph shows the "new" form of PRINT as
PRINT:vname:format[:strftime], and immediately after, it says "It is an
error to specify a vname generated by a DEF or CDEF."  But then it goes on
to list the other (deprecated) form, and then says "The first form of this
command is to be used with CDEF vnames."

Regardless, I have not found any way to specify the "new" PRINT form that
the command line parser likes.  For example, if I use:

$ rrdtool graph /tmp/graphout DEF:du=diskutil-sda.rrd:percent:AVERAGE
CDEF:foo=du PRINT:foo:%lf --start end-30min

Then I get:
ERROR: Cannot parse CF in 'PRINT:foo:%lf'

However, the new form of PRINT is not supposed to contain a CF.

It seems like either the tool or the documentation is broken.  Does anyone
have any examples at all which use the "new form" of the PRINT command?

-Neal