[rrd-users] Questions about effective database parameters

Henrik Hegardt henrikhegardt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:10:15 CET 2010

Thank you for your reply!
For some reason I was thinking of the xff the other way around. I'm using your ideas, and it looks promising.
Regards Henrik
From: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
To: henrikhegardt at hotmail.com; rrd-users at lists.oetiker.ch
Subject: RE: [rrd-users] Questions about effective database parameters
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:27:16 +0000

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:720

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:60:720

You need to set the XFF (the fraction of the data which must be known for an RRA to store a value) to be much lower; in fact, you might even want to make it as near to zero as you can, maybe 1/(#dp)

So, for the above, use:

RRA:AVERAGE:0.03:30:720

RRA:AVERAGE:0.01:60:720

and even make it smaller for other RRAs.

This is a rather clever way to get around the whole data normalisation thing; by making the step size 1s you avoid normalisation, but use a tiny XFF to make sure your 1-min RRA still stores the data as posted (and averages if you get multiple samples).

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead