[rrd-users] Questions about effective database parameters

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 23 06:08:22 CET 2010

Oops, I think I gave some bad advice just now and stated the XFF definition backwards.  From the manual:

"xff The xfiles factor defines what part of a consolidation interval may be made up from *UNKNOWN* data while the consolidated value is still regarded as known. It is given as the ratio of allowed *UNKNOWN* PDPs to the number of PDPs in the interval. Thus, it ranges from 0 to 1 (exclusive)."

So it is as Alex said (not how I said!) and you need to get your XFF as close to 1 as you can without it actually being 1 (rather than as close to 0 like I said).

Sorry for any confusion, I should have checked the docs first!

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead