[rrd-users] Using RRDTool on Windows XP 32 bits

Alexandru Dan Sicoe sicoe.alexandru at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 13:51:46 CET 2010

Hi,

My name is Alex Sicoe and I'm currently investigating RRDTool to decide if I
can use it for my final year University project. I'm trying it out on
Windows. I've followed the instructions at the website
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/download.en.html and downloaded the Binary
distribution for windows. Then I've followed the instructions in the
"WIN32-BUILD-TIPS" file. Everything ok until I reached step 4. When I build
the solution containing the 2 projects *rrdlib* and *rrdtool* (with
Microsoft C++ in Microsoft Studio 2008 - Professional Edition) it comes up
with 3 errors in the rrdlib project and 1 error in the rrdtool project (See
below).

Question 1: Is it necessary to build rrdtool on my machine? I saw that there
are some bindings for Python for example. Do those bindings just work
without the need to build the entire thing? Rephrasing this, if I install
Python can I just import a .dll for the whole RRDTool that allows me to
benefit the entire functionality without building from scratch?

Question 2: What do I need to do about these errors I get?

For the *rrdlib* project the build log shows:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compiling...

pngsize.c
c:\rrdtool-1.4.4\contrib\include\png.h(386) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open
include file: 'zlib.h': No such file or directory

rrd_getopt1.c
..\src\rrd_getopt1.c(74) : error C2664: '_getopt_internal' : cannot convert
parameter 2 from 'char *const *' to 'char **'
        Conversion loses qualifiers
..\src\rrd_getopt1.c(88) : error C2664: '_getopt_internal' : cannot convert
parameter 2 from 'char *const *' to 'char **'
        Conversion loses qualifiers
Generating Code...

rrdlib - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the *rrdtool* project the build log shows:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking...

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'rrdlib.lib'

rrdtool - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I apologise for the very boring and noob questions. I hope somebody can help
me out solve this problem as fast as possible, I need to start getting the
feel for RRDTool because my project is starting in January!

Thank you,
Alex

P.S. I spent time searching through the forum and the mailing list archives
but I couldn't find any similar issue from before.