[rrd-users] mrtg support for NAT

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 12:30:10 CET 2010

Nabil BouDiab wrote:

>has anyone successfully created targets for Natted IP addresses from MRTG?
>
>I need to monitor two remote networks that have overlapping IP
>addresses. so we configured NAT on the gateway of one of the
>networks.
>MRTG server now sees all monitored devices as unique IP addresses.
>
>would the Natting cause any issues in looking up the OIDs? is this a
>valid supported setup?

As long as your monitor is able to address the end device then it
shouldn't cause any issues. The only thing I'd expect to be wrong
would be any IP addresses read by SNMP which wouldn't match the
target IP address due to the NAT. But since you are unlikely to be
reading IP addresses with MRTG, I don't see this being a problem !

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...