[rrd-users] Can this kind of chart be drawn with RRDTool ?

A Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Fri Feb 12 09:00:40 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:20:30AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 12 February 2010 10:51, A Darren Dunham <ddunham at taos.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know how to do that exactly (grid on top especially), but you
> > could do an AREA graph with the color you want from bottom to top, and
> > then give it some transparency so the grid shows through.
>
> The main problem is giving a different colour according to the point in time...

Yup.  I don't know any easy way to have RRD do this automatically.  I
glossed over the difficulty in that method when I was thinking about
it.  I think it could be built up by a number of CDEFs, each printed on
top of each other.  Here's the general thing I can think of.

Imagine a gradient of colors, with N color buckets.  Create a CDEF where
the value is defined if the solar is above 0, then another where it's
defined only if the value is above bucket 1, bucket 2, etc...  Then you
graph each CDEF in order with your color buckets.

> > You could even draw the sun by creating a hemispherical data set and
> > graphing that in AREA with yellow.
>
> Actually the solar output plot is something I will draw based on real
> > data ...

I was referring to the "sun on the horizon" graphic.  Were you intending
that to be relative to some data as well?

--
Darren