[rrd-users] setting up the steps and heartbeat for database

Marc Tobien Marc at Tobien.net
Sat Jan 9 18:55:59 CET 2010

Hi

I have a understanding problem how to set up a database for best practice
with rrdtool create name.rrd -step ??? DS:ds-name:heartbeat???   :min:max

The specialty is that I get approximately every 10 to 15 minutes a set of
3-9 dates for the database.

Every set of dates is holding the exact timestamp of measurement.

I do not have the problem to write the dates with update  into the rdd
database , but the unknown entered automatically if dates are not coming in
time or with a bad interval are messing up the average. See my example.
There can be a time different between taking the measurement and getting the
data's of 35 minutes. That is normal. If there is a breakdown of the line,
time can rise up to 900 minutes, that is the buffer of the  Device.

Data's will then be deliver after a reconnect.

e.g. set of data's coming in

at 23:44

6.89

 12.1

 96.2

23:11:24

 6.84

 12.2

 95.7

23:14:24

 6.81

 12.2

 95.3

23:15:25

 6.77

 12.1

 94.8

23:18:26

 6.74

12

 95.3

23:21:26

 6.73

 11.9

 95.6

23:24:27

 6.72

 11.9

 95.7

23:25:27

 6.72

 14.5

 89.1

23:28:28

 6.71

 14.5

 88.9

23:31:29

at :00:01

 6.73

 14.5

 88.9

23:34:29

 6.75

 14.5

 89.1

23:35:30

 6.83

 14.5

 89.4

23:38:31

 6.9

 14.5

 89.7

23:41:34

 6.94

 14.5

 90.2

23:44:35

Gruesse/Regards,

Marc Tobien

Marc Tobien
Top Gun Alumni | CSS Microsoft Server
HP Enterprise Services

( Direct: +49 4202 71079 |cid:image002.gif at 01C7C307.7D262DF0   Mobile: +49
152 2923 3586  |  cid:image003.gif at 01C7C307.7D262DF0   Email:
<mailto:Marc.Tobien at eds.com> Marc at Tobien.net