[rrd-users] RRDTools Server and Installing RRDTools in a shared hosting environment

AllSort ofQuestions allsortofquestions at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 02:48:46 CET 2010

OK I can say it is working under RH EL5.
What I did was to manually unpack the RPM and to copy the files in a subdirectory where I have full access
The next step was to use the perl directive "use lib" to point the perl script to that path. It worked with
perl-rrdtool-1.0.50-3.el5.rf.i386.rpm

Next I tried higher versions because I need the "--no-border" and some other things which seem to be available
only in later versions (haven't checked the linux version but the windows version I am using rejects the -no-border
switch)
I have tried -no-border on Ubuntu and it is not working in version 1.30.

Anyway, no matter what which version I try between 1.2.30 and 1.3.9 (RPMs) I am receiving the same message which is

Can't load
'/home/username/html/Others/rrdtools/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so'
for module RRDs: librrd.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line
230.
 at script.pl line 3
Compilation failed in require at script.pl line 3.

Can anybody tell me what makes the 1.0.5 works and what makes all the other higher version fail?

I also tried to install the binaries, I am OK if I can create script that I can put in crontab and generate the images with rrdtool 1.3.9 while I am updating the database with 1.050. Would this work?
The binary distribution seems to have some problems with loading the libraries. Does anybody know how to load the libraries if the are not installer in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib ?

I also tried /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path PATH EXECUTABLE

This somehow change something but I don't know enough about Unix to say what exactly changed. Please see below

[user at p3nlh047 bin]$ ./rrdtool
./rrdtool: error while loading shared libraries: librrd.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and

[user at p3nlh047 bin]$ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path . rrdtools
rrdtools: error while loading shared libraries: rrdtools: cannot open shared object file
[cristip at p3nlh047 bin]$

Thank you
PF