[rrd-users] How to store exact value

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 18:14:16 CET 2010

Denis wrote:

>I'd like to store only 2.3400000000e+02 and not 2.3406449040e+02
>I tried to create a base with LAST or MIN or MAX as RRA CF and GAUGE or
>ABSOLUTE as DS DST but with no luck. It seems RRD just want to average
>the provided value.
>
>I can understand that it is done for a counter as it is explained in
>http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/tut/rrdtutorial.en.html#IData_Resampling.
>But in my case I need the exact value at the time I provide it.
>
>Is it possible ?

For what you appear to be after, rrdtool isn't the right tool for
you. rrdtool is specifically designed to store values consolidated
over various timescales and resolutions - it isn't designed to store
arbitrary values at arbitrary times (actually it never stores values
at all, it only ever stores rates).

For more information see Alex's tutorials at
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/, and in particular the one on
Rates, normalizing and consolidating.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd
be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of
support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...