[rrd-users] move a ds to a new rrd file

Joel Brooks jbrooks at oddelement.com
Wed Jul 14 19:02:47 CEST 2010

hey all,

rrdtool rocks!

I'm trying to figure out how I can move a datasource from one rrd file to
another.

here's the scenario.

i use nagios and pnp to monitor my systems.

one of the checks i do is to monitor each customer database on each database
server.  There could be anywhere from 1 to 35 or so databases on a database
server.

some times, I need to move a customer's database from one server to another
(capacity, performance, etc).

when i do this, i'd like to be able to move that customer's data source from
the old db server rrd file to the new database server's rrd file.

in a particular rrd file, i might have say 10 datasources, one for each
customer's database.  when the db is move from server1 to server2, i want to
be able to do something like:

rrdtool move db1.rrd:ds0 db2:ds15

is there a way to do something like that?

anyone know of any contrib scripts or anything that i could use to rrdtool
dump (or xport) and them import into the second rrd file?

thank you!