[rrd-users] water usage

A Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Fri Jul 23 01:51:34 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:32:48PM -0400, Rick Dicaire wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm trying to log water usage based on once daily data
> input. I've tried DS types of COUNTER and GAUGE, and the graph image
> doesn't appear to reflect each days usage. Here's how I'm creating the
> graph:
>
> rrdtool graph 'water.png' --title 'Water Usage' --vertical-label 'Gallons' \
> --start end-1w \
[snip]

But you haven't said anything about your data or how you're putting it
into the RRD.

Can you also show how the RRD was created, and maybe 3 daily inputs
(rrdupdate commands) with the data shown?

Nirvana is to create a standalone set of commands that reproduces what
you're seeing: rrdcreate, rrdupdates, rrdgraph.

> Using either of the above DS types produces a steadily upward
> 'stepped' graph. So it appears I need to get the difference between
> the LAST input and the one previous input, and graph that. How can
> this be done?

COUNTER should do that, depending on the data and how it's used.

--
Darren