[rrd-users] Increase RRA Size

Bigras, Guy gbigras at telesat.com
Thu May 6 23:08:12 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I'd like to add a new RRA to the RRD file.  Can't figure out how to do it.

Here's some background information:

I'm using Cacti 0.8.7e with rrdtool verion 1.3.8-1.

I've setup my RRDs to use four custom RRAs instead of the default ones.  The major difference is that there is no data point averaging being done.
Here is my RRA setup (5 minute polling interval):

RRA1: Daily
Consolidation: average
steps: 1
rows: 300
Timespan: 86400

RRA2: Weekly
Consolidation: average
steps: 1
rows: 2304
Timespan: 604800

RRA3: Monthly
Consolidation: average
steps: 1
rows: 9216
Timespan: 2592000

RRA4: Yearly
Consolidation: average
steps: 1
rows: 109440
Timespan: 31536000

The reason there is no averaging is because the powers from above do not want to loose any data point.  They want to be able to zoom into any "peak" on the graph and be able to look at the real data as opposed to an average.

However now they want to be able to keep more than a year's worth.  Hard drive space is not an issue so I've opted for a ten year RRA.  I just don't know how to modify an existing RRD file to incorporate these changes.  I've tried some scripts to export data and import back but it doesn't seem to work.

thanks in advance for your help
Guy