[rrd-users] RRD PERCENT question (95 percentile)

Andree Toonk andree.toonk at bc.net
Mon May 17 23:50:20 CEST 2010

Hi Alex,

First of all thanks for taking the time to look into this.
Please see below.

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at 16/05/10 8:21 AM  Alex
van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> First of all:
> My rrdtool version gets one line too many at the end of rrdtool fetch, yours
> gets one line too many at the beginning.
> There have been off-by-one errors during development, including but not
> limited to the examples just mentioned.

I Noticed that, thanks for explaining.

> Second problem:
> You define a width of 700. That is not just pixels, it is also intervals.
> RRDtool will do some on the fly consolidation because you try to fit 1054
> intervals in 700.  That's why I altered width to be 1052 in the script.

Ah that's what the 'real' issue was!
I didn't realize that 'rrdtool graph' started to consolidate data based
on the width.

So if I understand correctly, it uses 1px for 1 sample? if there are
more samples then pixels it will consolidate the data?
Is there a way to let RRD tool figure the width out automatically?
without consolidating the data? Reading the docs it seems
--full-size-mode could help me here?
I couldn't test that as the version I run (1.2.19) does not recognize
that option.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
  Andree