[rrd-users] RRDs::graph right axis syntax

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 1 21:19:40 CET 2010

You can verify which version of the RRDs libraries you are using with:

perl -e 'use RRDs; print $RRDs::VERSION;'

It should be the same as your binary (1.4.3 in your case).  Depending on where the module is installed you may need to push the path into @INC for the above scriptlet to work.

The Routers2 program uses the second-axis code in RRDTool.  You need to set the axis label (--right-axis-label label), and the scaleshift for the second axis (--right-axis scale:shift).  These parameters can be passed in the same way as any other parameters.  I think (but am not sure) that the second axis label will not display unless you have a scaleshift option set.

--right-axis-label "My second axis" --right-axis 10:0

In this example, the new axis is scaled by a factor of 10, and shifted by 0.

--right-axis-label "Farenheit" --right-axis 1.8:32

This example allows you to have a graph in Celsius show a second axis for Farenheit (I believe Americans are still using this :)

If you just want a second axis label with no scale shift, use '--right-axis 1:0'

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead