[rrd-users] Cant' get exact values in rrd

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 3 22:14:36 CET 2010

> I want to graph values, that are generated with a frequency of one
> value per day.
> I've tried everything to get these into RRDtool, but I don't succeed in
> getting the exact values into RRDtool:

> What should I do to get the exact numbers in the database?

This is caused by data normalisation.  If you update your RRD with the timestamp set to exactly on the bucket boundary rather than using 'now' then you wont have the problem.

EG, if the step  is 5min, then set the time to be exactly 12:00, 12:05 ... rather than the point at which you get the data.

It is worth noting that the boundaries are calculated using UTC, so if you have a 1-day interval, then the boundary is 00:00 UTC which may not be 00:00 in your local timzeone!

Having said all that, it seems you're setting TZ=UTC and the date -d is returning the correct timestamp, so I would have expected it to work...

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail