[rrd-users] Insert notes inside a graph

A Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Thu Nov 4 17:43:18 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 07:14:09AM -0700, morsa801tons wrote:

> i wish to insert notes inside an rrd graph. For example, imagine a
> temperature
> graph with an area stack where we can see a great peak. I think there'll be
> very
> useful if some rrd tool allows to insert a little comment or note
> telling the world the cause of this peak (for. ex. a refrigeration system
> failure would cause this peak).
>

> Does exist any way to do this or some feature like this?

Some options:

You can use GPRINT and COMMENT fields to place text into window beneath
the graph.  You can't point to a peak with them, but it's appropriate
for longer text bits.

You can insert a VRULE in the graph to mark a point in time, and it can
be referenced in the graph legend.  I wouldn't want to put a paragraph
in the legend, but maybe a short description ("May outage"), and then a
comment in the graph about the "May outage" would work.

--
Darren