[rrd-users] How are the updates to an RRD file written to disk?

Andy Fleming afleming at kanren.net
Fri Oct 1 16:59:29 CEST 2010

This is actually a followup to a question one of my co-workers posted
last week.  I think what I was really wanting to know might have gotten
lost in the translation.  I'm not really worried about memory or CPU,
but rather Disk I/O.  I got burned bad before when a former co-worker
went graph crazy.

When an existing RRD file is updated, it is of course the same size file
before and after the update.  However, how is the file actually
updated/written.  Is it the case that only the new value is written in
the file, overwriting the previous value and some sort of pointer updated.

OR

Is the entire RRD file re-written each time its updated?  Beyond how,
how about when a consolidation occurs?  I realize this might depend on
version of RRD tool, how its compiled, OS, etc, but hopefully you all
can give me a little insight.

I realize that a lot of you are saying rrdcache helps, but when working
within a product with a support contract (even if its open source),
sometimes one has to wait till the vendor implements it.  I think in
this case since we are using Zenoss Enterprise with a support contract,
I'm going to have to do any tuning, etc via the OS and Disk Sub-System
for now and not count on being able to use rrdcache.

Thanks for any thoughts or insights you all might have.

Andy

--
Andy Fleming - RHCE
Sr Systems Administrator
afleming at kanren.net
Office: 785-856-9800 x 201

KanREN
  - Advanced Network Solutions for the Research and Education Community