[rrd-users] NO ERROR returns trying to update the rrd file which no longer exits.

Yuya hill_climb at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 04:15:40 CEST 2010

Tobi,

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for my late response.

> as far as I underrstand the inner workings of rrdcached it only
> access the file once it writes to it (aka flushes) this means that
> it can not know if the file exist or not at update time. After all
> the whole puropse of rrdcached is to minimize IO. Checking for
> rrd validity at update time would negate that purpose.

> if you work with rrdcached and modify the 'database' directly, I
> would suggest to stop cached first and then restart it. Same
> stories with all databases.

What I try to do is to call rrdtool functions such as "rrd_update" from
object code with use of rrdtool library and to differentiate the subsequent
procedure depending on the returned value of rrdtool functions.

For instance, program will terminate when rrd_update returns zero, which
means normal, and program will terminate with saving the input (timestamp &
the value) to a file when rrd_update
returns non-zero value, which means abnormal.

I want to get non-zero value when rrd_update tries to update the rrd file
that longer exists because it was accidentally removed or anything, so as to
save the timestamp and the value, but rrd_update returns zero in this case
as I wrote in the previous e-mail.

Regards,

Yuya Hashimoto