[rrd-users] Build problem with rrdtool-1.0.49 on AMD64

johans johan.segers at ext.ec.europa.eu
Mon Oct 18 10:15:45 CEST 2010

Sivakumar Ramagopal <ramagopa <at> etek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I fixed this problem in a rather crude, but effective way. Basically, I
> pass -fPIC while compiling all the sources, because it was a pain to find
> out exactly which objects go into libraries. I guess it does not do any
> harm to compile all sources with -fPIC.
>
> To do this, edit all the Makefiles in the distribution ending in .in and
> append -fPIC to the lines containing CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. This is a pain,
> but does the job. Then run configure and make.
>
> I followed this technique for all the tools that I am compiling on AMD64.
> So far it has worked.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shiva
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > same problem with me with Fedora Core 3 - AMD64. Is there a solution for
> > this yet?
> >
> > Jurgen Kobierczynski
>
> --
> Help        mailto:rrd-users-request <at> list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help
> Archive     http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/rrd-users

Hi,

I get the message:

../src/.libs//librrd_private.a(parsetime.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a
local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

when execuring make of the rrdtool.... after having done sh configure --enable-
shared

I have added -fPIC and -static to the Makefile and Makefile.in but that does
not help.

I have no idea how to continue .... any idea ?