[rrd-users] "rrdtool info" through network doesn't seem to work.

Yuya hill_climb at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 03:49:42 CEST 2010

Hello.

I'm using rrdcahced(version 1.4.4) to update rrd files in a remote host, and
I'm facing the following.
Trying to check the timestamp when the target rrd file in a remote host was
updated,
I used "rrdtool last", but it doesn't seem to work. and the same is true for
"rrdtool info" and
"rrdtool lastupdate."

The procedure I went through and the environment were as follows;
(Assume that Host A and Host B are connected via network)

1. Run rrdcached on Host A
 rrdcached -l <ip-address>:<port> -w 120 -b /aaa/bbb -F

2. Create a rrd file named "xxx.rrd" in the directory that was specified by
"-b" option above.

3. Execute "rrdtool last" with "--daemon" option on Host B
 rrdtool last --daemon <ip-address>:<port> xxx.rrd

Then, Error returned such as;
-1
ERROR: opening 'xxx.rrd': No such file or directory

And, when the absolute path is used to specify the target file instead of
the relative path from the directory specified by "-b" option, following
message returned.
-1
ERROR: absolute path names not allowed when talking to a remote daemon

As far as I read the Documentation
(http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/doc/rrdlast.en.html),
I thing that "rrdtool last" with --daemon can be used, but is this only
valid within a
same host? Or, if some other option is specified to execute "rrdtool last",
does it work?

Regards,

Yuya