[rrd-users] [rrd-developers] rrdcached use corrupting RRD files (trunk)

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Fri Oct 22 04:03:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>wrote:

>  The corrupted file ends up the correct size; however the entire file is
> filled with zeroes (fortunately, we archive our RRD files nightly so I can
> version)

Strange...  The failure mode for rrd_open() unmaps and closes the file...
 that's about it.  I'm not sure how it could zero the file like that.

> The system is not (normally) memory or process-constrained; there is in
> fact nothing to speak of running apart from apache and the rrdcached
> daemon.  The rrdinfo response is ‘not an RRD file’, since it doesn’t have
> the RRD header.
>

> It has run fine for a whole week at these rates before the problem hit; so
> that’s why I think it might be a leak in the RRD functions (which would of
> course not show up in a non-daemon situation).  We use the remote update,
> info and (occasionally) create via the TCP socket; plus the info, last,
> flush and fetch via the UNIX socket.

My workload is all UPDATE and FLUSH and I'm not seeing any problems.  It's
possible that the newer code (info, create) has a leak that I haven't caught
yet in production.

Could you show me:

 - the output of 'stats' from your daemon
 - "rrdtool info" from an RRD that's typical of your workload
 - the args you're using when starting the rrdcached daemon

> The build is the absolute latest r2136 .
>

> The memory usage of the rrdcached process is definitely increasing; however
> that may also be due to the number of items in the queue?  It is currently
> at 768m virtual, 560m physical (17% usage) which seems somewhat high to me,
> even for 20,000+ RRD files.  Eventually it will hit address-space limits
> (this is a 32bit RHEL5 box with 4G physical memory)

My rrdcached runs around 2GB.  That's with about 350k RRDs and 72 cached
values per RRD.  So, your memory utilization does look high.

>  Unfortunately I don’t have any of the nice developer tools for tracking
> memory leaks…

You could install "valgrind" and run the daemon under that for a while.  The
daemon should be compiled with debugging symbols (-g) and not stripped in
this case.  i.e.

% valgrind --leak-check=full --show-reachable=yes rrdcached -args blah blah
blah

Then, on exit it will show you what's leaking.

Alternatively, if you can make a script that typifies your workload (perhaps
at a smaller scale) that would help to reproduce the problem.

-kb

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/