[rrd-users] rrdcached issues with larger number of clients via network/pthread

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Oct 31 07:16:51 CET 2010

We also had this problem, using the trunk version of 1.4.4, but I thought it was due to a separate memory leak issue (now fixed in trunk).

If pthread_create fails then you're out of resources, possibly memory or threads... check your system thread/process limits are not causing issues, and that you have sufficient memory.  Keep an eye on how much memory rrdcached is using and see if it starts getting unfeasibly larger than it is after the first hour.  I've also found that the MRTG daemon (which is writing to rrdcached) can become confused and require restarting at this point, too.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead