[rrd-users] couple of questions

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 21:23:36 CEST 2010

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>Is it possible to generate graphs on the fly to the browser without
>actually generating a file on the server?

I started off trying to use rrdtool in filter mode, but it lacked the
flexibility I wanted. In the end I wrote scripts (in BASH) to
generate the rrdtool code, create a png file on disk, and then send
that out with the right headers for the browser to display it as an
image. I use the --lazy option so rrdtool won't rebuild the image if
it's recent.

Why do you want to avoid creating a file ? If it's just a case of not
having them around, then you could delete the file after it's been
sent. Or you could have a cron job to clean up any images more than a
certain age.

>I would like to also display an accumulated counter (say total
>bandwidth for the month), how would I do that on the graph and on
>the rrd table?

By calendar month, or by period ? I've just added that to some of my
graphs. While the script if parsing options and setting variables
(specifically end and start times), I also set a variable for the
accumulator period* I have separate CDEFs etc that will get the
average for that period, multiply by the accumulator period (eg 86400
for 24 hours), and then display the result.

* My graphs aren't the same periods - for example, my "month"
actually shows about 6 weeks, it's just the way the number of pixels
and consolidation periods works out.

--
Simon Hobson