[rrd-users] help with update

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 21:53:59 CEST 2010

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>I'm having trouble updating my database, this is my first try at
>getting rrdtool to work... ;-)
>
>So I created a database like this:
>
>rrdtool create /var/www/rrd/test.rrd
>             DS:input:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U
>             DS:output:ABSOLUTE:600:U:U
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797
>
>And I'm getting counters every 5 minutes (resetting each time) to
>feed into the rrd.
>
>I have a script that gets values for input and output and then I
>call update with those values like this:
>
>rrdtool update /var/www/rrd/test.rrd N:31127529:10551799
>
>But when I do a dump, the rrd just has all NaN, no data in it.

How long did you do updates for ? You won't see any values in the
database until you've completed a consolidated period AND you have at
least (in this case) 50% of that period covered by data. If you are
entering data every 5 minutes, it may take 2 or 3 updates before data
appears.

Also, is it a typo/copy&paste error, because I don't see a step
declaration in that rrd tool create command ?
--
Simon Hobson