[rrd-users] how to merge two rrd databases that have different data structures

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 01:05:21 CEST 2010

Hi. is there a tool to merge two rrdtool databases that have different
data structures?

I've been collecting a GAUGE every 6 hours; now we want to start
collecting every minute, and I've set up a new RRD database to do
that, but we have a year of historical information in the original DB.

Is there an automated way to insert it into the new DB?

I tried  http://www.pintori.it/rrd-merger/ but it segfaulted, and I looked at
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/contrib/merge-rrd.tgz but it expects an
identical data structure.

I am not afraid to try to hand-edit the RRD XML, just want to make sure
I've exhausted all the easy options first.

Best,
-at