[rrd-users] Effects of RRAs on CPU, disk I/O, and memory resources

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 20:44:03 CEST 2010

My organization wants to record more detailed information for longer
periods of time without consuming excessive resources on the server
performing RRD operations and storing RRD files.  I know RRD files
maintain the same size on disk after creation.  However, I'm unsure how
the number of RRAs and RRA step/row values affect CPU, disk I/O, and
memory resources particularly during update operations and periodic
internal consolidations.  Further complicating the situation, each
graphing application manages RRD files differently.  For example, Zenoss
creates one RRD file with a single DS and associated RRAs for each OID
retrieved from a device.  Retrieving just a few OIDs from a large number
of devices results in Zenoss operating on many small RRD files per
update cycle.  I haven't found a way to configure it otherwise.  On the
other hand, Cacti creates one RRD file with a variable number of DS
based on templates.  I can configure and implement these templates to
perform roughly the opposite management style of Zenoss by increasing
the size and complexity of each RRD file, but reducing the overall
number of them.  I know discussion of Zenoss vs. Cacti wanders
off-topic, but in this case providing the methods they use for managing
RRD files may greatly affect answers to my primary question.

I currently use Zenoss to retrieve about 11000 OIDs every 5 minutes.
Each of the 11000 RRD files contains 4 RRAs providing data for about 2
days at 5 minute intervals (essentially no consolidation), 2 weeks at 30
minute intervals, 50 days at 2 hour intervals, and 600 days at 1 day
intervals.

What sort of effects on CPU, disk I/O, and memory resources can I
anticipate during update and periodic internal consolidations if, for
example, I change these RRAs to 1 year at 5 minute intervals
(essentially no consolidation), 2 years at 1 hour intervals, and 3 years
at 1 day intervals?  Can anyone provide a formula or general way to
estimate resource consumption for various RRA configurations?  When
confronting resource issues, which forms of RRD tuning (e.g., increasing
RRA steps, reducing RRA rows, or even eliminating RRAs) provide the most
effect?  I'm also somewhat interested in determining how various RRA
configurations might affect resources needed for graph operations.

Thanks,
Matt