[rrd-users] Trying to find out if rrd would be suitable for this task.

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 01:40:30 CEST 2010

I want to keep trends about a table in my database. There are a
handful of fields I am interested in less than a dozen. My idea is to
send the values of those fields to rrd on a periodic basis and trend
their values over time.

My big worry is the number of records in the database. It is my
understanding that I would need a different rrd database for every
record which means I might need hundreds of thousands of databases
maybe even over a million.   Is there a way to sore two dimensional
data in a single RRD database?

In addition to the cumbersome nature of having thousands of rrd files
I am thinking I would not be able to ask questions like "this records
are trending down" or "which record is trending fastest" etc.  I was
thinking I would get around that by keeping the aggregate indicators
in both RRD and the relational database.

Has anybody ever attempted such a thing before? Is there a better way
to handle this kind of task.