[rrd-users] Getting Total Bytes from COUNTER Data Source

Chris Mason chris at noodles.org.uk
Sun Dec 11 09:54:16 CET 2011

Hi,

I am plotting interface stats (bits per second) using a COUNTER/DERIVE
data source and I am wondering if it is possible to determine total
bytes (e.g. for the last week I saw 3.2 GB in and 0.2 GB out). In
theory, I am storing the total interface bytes every 300 seconds and
to get total bytes it would be the (last entry - first entry).
However, would I be correct in assuming that rrdtool doesn't actually
store those values, but converts them to per-second values?

How would people go about achieving this - is it possible?

Thanks,
Chris