[rrd-users] to many "data agregation" transactions at the same time

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Thu Dec 15 16:13:03 CET 2011

Hi,

We have an annoying problem.

We have a tool that runs daily that does "network discovery" of net
devices and creates .rrd automatically based on this.

However, as this runs on crontab, we have now end up with a situation
where a lot of .rrd files (thousands) where created at the same time of
the day. The result is that the "data aggregation" process of all these
.rrd files start at roughly the same time; and this causes disk IO
congestion.

OK, we have now taken steps to run the script at different times; but
the problem is now "what to do with all the files we now have".

What would be the best way to deal with this?

The only thing I can think of to do a "rrdtool dump" of the files, run a
perl-script to modify the time-stamps in the text-file (e.g. move all
"every 24h" stats up by one hour) and then recreate a binary .rrd files
based on that.

Is this a feasable option? (it's not easy, but it's scriptable).

Are the timestamps in the "every 24 hours" stats related to the
timestamps of (say) the "every 2 hours" stats?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.