[rrd-users] Getting Total Bytes from COUNTER Data Source

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 24 12:11:36 CET 2011

Chris Mason wrote:

>I am assuming the data that is missing at the beginning of the RRA
>would be considered UNKNOWN and I would expect the TOTAL function to
>ignore it?

You may think that ...
It depends on how it's calculated - the obvious calculation is average * time.
The average function ignores unknown periods, so the average of
unkn,1,2,3 would be 2 (6/3), not 1.5 (6/4). If you then multiply that
by the period (4 samples in this case), it would give you 8 instead
of 6.

It's an interesting debate as to which is more accurate !

NB - I don't know the actual calculation that's used. I'll leave
someone who knows the code to comment on that.

--
Simon Hobson