[rrd-users] Streaming Events into RRD

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 14:05:44 CET 2011

Shriram Seshadri wrote:

>I have a couple of questions:
>1. Inserting data into rrd is possible. Is there a way to stream the
>events in to rrd ?
>2. I have some 1000-1500 datasources. I need to accumulate values
>from all these datasources and do some calculations (like average)
>on the data collected and then insert only one data into the
>archieve.
>Is this possible ? currently in rrd for each datasource one entry
>goes into the archieve.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what you are asking.

I think you are asking about taking lots of different values from
different sources, manipulating them in some manner to get one value,
and then storing this in an RRD file. If so, then the manipulations
are something you would have to script yourself.

On the other hand, if you are talking about having lots of bits of
information coming from some source, and you want to accumulate them
- then you can do updates as often as you like provided you don't try
more than one update per second.
Eg, if you had a machine that randomly, and frequently, spat out some
measure (eg number of widgets packed since the last report) - then
you could just update the RRD file as each report came in, and these
would be accumulated within each "step" period and then normalised.

You may find Alex's tutorials helpful :
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/
particularly "Rates, normalizing and consolidating"

--
Simon Hobson