[rrd-users] Updating more than once per second using rrdcached

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Jan 10 12:24:02 CET 2011

Hi all,

I am currently monitoring streamed events that are written to RRD
files, and sometimes an update for an RRD will arrive more than once
per second. When attempting to use rrdcached to speed this up, I have
started getting the following messages appearing from time to time,
which I understand as data being dropped by rrdcached:

illegal attempt to update using time 1294658384 when last update time
is 1294658384 (minimum one second step)

This causes us dropped data.

Would it be possible in this case, instead of erroring out, to rather
flush previous changes for this particular RRD file from rrdcached to
disk, before accepting the new update?

Regards,
Graham